Monday, June 17, 2013

Chaos Daemons - Great Unclean One and Plaguebearers

I've not been blogging much lately, which is especially sad as I've been painting and playing a lot this year, but I'm hoping to change that.

For the NOVA Open this year I've decided on Daemons. I know everyone is really excited about Tau, but I don't think they are that good (they're good, just maybe not great) and I really don't want to be in Game 6 with someone who has had 4 previous games against Tau.

Daemons, on the other hand, I think are undervalued. They're relatively cheap, fast, have an Invulnerable save, and are a dynamic army that fit my play style better. I like movement and I like attacking my opponent. I enjoy throwing models at whoever I'm playing and enjoy the frantic pace assault armies provide.

I'm not 100% sure as to what I want to take for Daemons yet. Part of me wants to do 50 Lesser Daemons with a bunch of Flesh Hounds and Seekers of Slaanesh and other goodies. Another part of me wants to do 4 Flying Monstrous Creatures with Chaos Space Marine allies for a Helldrake because Winning Is The Only Thing. I'm not sure, but I'll get it figured out.

Either way, I've been painting Daemons. The last 8 days I've painted 40 Plaguebearers, a Great Unclean One, and a Herald of Nurgle. It's not a bad start and I'm very happy with how the miniatures came out.
 This set of 42 figures probably took me about 15 hours total to paint, which is not too bad for how they came out. I'm actually very pleased with the look of these models and I think I did them justice in how I painted them.

 Actually painting them was fairly easy. I searched around for a good recipe for Nurgle skin and couldn't find one, so I thought I'd share the one I came up with.

First I primed them with Army Painter Necrotic Green. Next I washed them with GW's Agrax Earthshade. After which I did a dry brush of Nurgling Green, followed by another dry brush of Ogryn Camo, and then a final light dry brush of the old Rotting Flesh color.

After this I paint the wound sections either a flesh color or pink, pink especially for entrails and things of that nature, before washing them with my home made blood wash (it's a weird mixture of red ink, brown wash, red wash, red glaze, and some other things. It's not scientific and I just add new whatever colors when the pot gets half empty, but I love it and use it a lot). For the pimple sores I paint them with white dots before going over them and their surrounding areas, as well as the edges of all cuts and open areas, with the red wash. I then reapply the white dots on the pimply bits.

I paint bone in a boring way (I think Steel Legion Drab followed by Tallarn Sand and finally with Ushabti Bone) and do yellow eye dots. The swords are painted black and then edged with Daemonette Hide and the old Lich Purple, and I do apply a gloss coat on them after they've been dullcoted to give them a little something.

All of this paints up very fast and I think looks good. I'm very happy with these figures and I think they're some of the nicest I've painted.
Next I'll be finishing up my Tau, have 2 Devilfish, 12 Fire Warriors, and 12 Pathfinders to paint, and after that it'll be Daemons and Daemons and more Daemons until Nova. The tentative plan now is to do 40 of each of the lesser Daemons and a bunch of other things so I have enough variety in army list for both Fantasy and 40k.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...